Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Flourless GF Cornbread

You know how it is when you just have a craving for something. Then, you search for a recipe for that something... and then you have to decide if the recipe can be adapted to be made not only gluten free, but hopefully tasty with not too weird a texture.
But once in a while you stumble across a gem that doesn't need to be adapted or finagled or tried out to see if it "works" as a gf version. This cornbread is one such gem. It is tasty. And it is gluten free already. Yahoo!
I have made this cornbread on a number off occasions and it is the best one I've made pre or post Celiac Disease in the family. It has flavor, and is not too dry. And whenever I make it, it always seems that there is never enough. I don't think a batch has ever lasted a full 24 hours in our house.

Here is the link to the original recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.ca/recipe/michael-smiths-cornbread/8544/


Skillet Cornbread

1 stick or 1/2cup or 8tbsp Butter
1 ½ cups Milk
1 ½ cups Cornmeal (the recipe calls for coarse cornmeal, but I just buy what is at my grocery store-plain old cornmeal- couldn't tell you if it is coarse or not lol)                          
½ cup Brown Sugar (I like to use dark brown) 
3 Eggs (at room temp is best) 
1 tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Salt


Step#1: Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Place an 8-inch cast iron skillet in the oven to preheat. (I haven't tried this in another type of skillet, but I think I would stick with cast iron in this case.)

Step#2: Combine butter, milk, cornmeal and brown sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a slow, steady simmer and whisk for a few minutes until thickened. (Make sure your heat isn't too high and burns the mixture- my daughter did this once. Also, cook it long enough that it leaves "tracks" as you are stirring- somewhat porridge like in consistency.)

Step#3: Add eggs, baking powder and salt to a medium bowl and whisk lightly. Add cornmeal mixture and stir until well combined. (Ok, I do things a bit different here... I whisk up my egg mixture and add it to my pot of cornmeal that I have taken off the heat. I figure I use less dishes, since I use my measuring cup from my milk to stir the eggs in. Also to note: the baking powder wants to clump up so make sure you get all those lumps out with some vigorous mixing prior to adding it to your cornmeal batter.)

Step#4: Remove your now hot cast iron pan from the oven and oil it. (I used a dab of olive oil and use a brush to coat the pan.) Carefully pour in your well combined cornmeal batter into your hot pan and bake for 20-25 minutes- or until your cornbread is golden around the edges and cooked through.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! I look forward to any feedback, suggestions, tips, or experiences you may have living as (or with) a Celiac. Please share!